The Municipal Unit of Pylos is made up of the Municipality administrative centre Pylos and ten local communities; Iklaina, Kallithea, Kynigou, Chomatada, Ampelokipi, Glyfada, Mesochori, Pappoulia, Pidasos, and Pyla.
Pylos (also known historically as Neokastro) is best known for the part it played in the legendary Naval Battle of Navarino, where the victory of the allies in 1827 marked the beginning of Greece’s full liberation from Turkish rule. Pylos today is a uniquely authentic tourist destination, since the town and surrounding area are unspoilt by industry or over-development and it is truly one of the most beautiful towns in Greece.
The modern town of Pylos was laid out by the French General Maison in 1829 and visitors will immediately appreciate his town planning skills. The town spreads amphitheatrically down the hill from the Castle to the central square that is surrounded by arcaded shops and cafes and pretty stepped alleyways.
Taking a refreshing drink under the shade of the trees in Three Admirals Square is the perfect way to fully soak up the authentic Greek atmosphere. The memorial in the square commemorates the admirals of the allied fleet in the Battle of Navarino and it is easy to stroll around the harbour from here to get one of the local boats that take visitors on boat trips around the bay. The French memorial is on the small rocky islet called Tsichili Baba. The Russian one on the island of Sfakteria and the British memorial on Helonaki Island in the centre of the bay.
Along with exploring the narrow streets that lead off of the square, a visit to Pylos Castle should not be missed. Leaving the main the square on the main Pylos – Methoni road, the castle is just a short walk straight up the hill.
NeoKastro (New Castle) was first built by the Turks in 1573 and was given this name to distinguish it from the ‘old’ Frankish castle at the other end of the bay which is now called PaleoKastro (Old Castle). Concealed by pine trees as you approach by road, the best way to fully appreciate its strategic importance and its size is to view it from the sea on a boat trip. The castle has a number of highlights not to be missed such as the new archaeological museum based in the large Barracks of Maison building just inside the entrance. In addition, the exhibition “Shipwrecks” showing many significant finds from Peloponnese shipwrecks over the last few centuries should not be missed. The church of the Transfiguration is also near the entrance. Formerly a mosque this church has been renovated and shows many architectural quirks due to its varied history. For more details about this wonderful site please see the Pylos Castle page.
Enjoy exploring our town and remember authentic Greek hospitality and fine Greek cuisine are easily found in the many restraurants & cafes dotted around the harbour and squares.
See you soon in historical Pylos!