The church of Panagia Myrtidiotissa, is located near the center of Pylos. Its majestic, distinctive appearance is visible from almost everywhere in the city, while from the courtyard of the church worshippers can enjoy lovely views of Pylos’ port.
The original Holy icon of the Virgin Mary, Mirtidiotissa was brought to Pylos in 1828 by fishermen from Kythira, after the Naval Battle of Navarino. Initially, the Kythera fishermen made wooden houses and a basic brick church at the point where the splendid church stands today.
The Holy icon was made at the monastery of Iveron on Mount Athos and testimonies of the local faithful talk about many miracles that have occurred with the help of Mirtidiotissa, in Pylos. The church celebrates its name day every year on 24th September, the day the Holy image of Panagia Myrtidiotissa of Kythira was found. According to tradition it was found in Kythira in the 14th century by a shepherd, in a place full of myrtle trees, hence the name Myrtidiotissa which means myrtle in Greek.