One of the most historic caves of Messinia is located in the area of Chora, on the slopes of Mount Koufiros Known as the cave of Agioi Anargyroi or the cave of Koufieros the area of the cave has been declared an archaeological monument by the Ministry of Culture.
Since the sixteen hundreds the inhabitants of the surrounding villages came to this cave to use it as a hideout during the raids of Turks and Albanians. In 1770, at the time of the Russian invader Orlof, the cave found a place in history when Albanians encircled it and in their endeavour to overwhelm it, threw fire bombs into the interior, burning alive almost all of the Greeks who had found shelter there.
In addition to this unfortunate event, the fire destroyed the iconograpy that had been skilfully created on the rocks, leaving only those of Saints Kosmas and Damianos, which can be distinguished at the top of the cave, hence the name "Agioi (Saints) Anargyroi".
In 1923, the chapel was inaugurated inside the cave, with Agioi Anargiroi, Kosmas and Damianos being celebrated twice a year; on July the 1st and on November the 1st, when the localsgather to celebrate. The celebration in July begins the previous evening, with a glorification service, and the next day a traditional feast follows the Divine Liturgy.